INJURY PREVENTION TIP: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a nerve irritation that occurs from compression of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel.
Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
- Position yourself properly at your computer.
- Set up your keyboard so that it is flat.
- Do not have your keyboard slanted downward.
- Use the wrist rest for micro-breaks only (Do not rest as you type only as you pause).
- Be sure where you rest your hands is padded, you should not be able to see any indents or lines on your wrists after prolonged typing.
- Keep your wrists straight and elbows in a 90 degree angle while typing. (Keyboard at elbow height or slightly below)
- Take frequent short breaks rather than one long break.
- Stretch your wrists before work, during breaks, and after work.
For more information on this subject, visit Trainings on our site or contact our office at 802-655-7575.
Next Wellness Tip
Mike Hughes shows you how to shovel without getting injured. Please do not follow his no jacket protocol- be sure to dress for the conditions to keep your muscles warm.